New Sound Library and Classic Beat Sequencer.
Apple has announced the release of a major update to GarageBand for iOS that provides even more creative options for making music on iPhone and iPad. The v2.3 update introduces a new GarageBand Sound Library, where users can select and download a variety of free sound packs featuring new instruments and loops. Beat makers can tap into a new Beat Sequencer instrument inspired by classic drum machines. The app also features new Asian Touch Instruments and updates to Drummer, including six additional players.
With the GarageBand Sound Library users can now preview and download new Apple-designed sounds and instruments right within the app. These free, downloadable sound packs contain a variety of Touch Instruments, Apple loops, Live Loops templates, guitar and instrument presets and more. Users can access the Sound Library from multiple places within GarageBand and will receive alerts when new sound packs are available. Initial sound packs include Future Bass, Reggaeton, Beat Sequencer kits, guitar amp tones and more. New sound packs will be released periodically by Apple.
With the new Beat Sequencer users can choose drum sounds from a collection of classic and modern electronic drum kits in a variety of genres. The Beat Sequencer is inspired by the simple yet powerful workflow of classic drum machines, and users can quickly build and edit grooves using a step sequencer interface that provides individual control over multiple drum and percussion tracks. Users can choose from 12 Apple-designed drum kits, each with their own unique sound and 25 beat patterns.
GarageBand users can also explore the sounds of Asia by accessing new Touch Instruments, including the traditional Japanese Koto and Taiko Drums, and Chinese Guzheng. Realistic and expressive performances can be easily created using Multi-Touch gestures for plucking and bending strings or playing different parts of each drum.
Three new drummers play percussion in Pop, Songwriter and Latin styles, each with their own signature percussion kit that includes instruments like bongos, cajon, woodblock and cowbell. The app also now includes three new acoustic kit drummers specializing in Rock and Alternative beats.
GarageBand 2.3 for iOS is available today as a free download on the App Store. It is compatible with devices running iOS 11, including iPhone 5s and later, iPad mini 2 and later and iPod Touch 6th generation.
Summary of what’s new in v2.3:
- Updated for Super Retina display on iPhone X.
- Use the new Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs.
- Adds 3 Drummers who play percussion in the styles of Pop, Songwriter, and Latin*.
- Play and record using traditional instruments from China and Japan, including the Guzheng, Koto and Taiko drums*.
- Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer.
- Support for expanded sharing and storage options with the Files app in iOS 11.
- Enables a larger Audio Unit Extensions view for compatible third-party instruments and effects.
- Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution.
- Includes iMessage sticker pack that adds GarageBand instrument icons.
- Provides stability improvements and bug fixes.
* Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library
Read more at itunes.apple.com